It’s a weekday, you’re busy, it’s chilly, and you just want and need a carbtastic lunch that’s sustaining and will keep you going. My Carbonara Cheat will hit the spot. It’s a quick, easy workaround using store cupboard ingredients.
I use a tin of Heinz Cream of Mushroom Soup, six twists of Tagliatelle, some chestnut mushrooms, and three slices of bacon cut up into teeny, bite-sized bits. It takes around 10 minutes to make this, and it’s ever so easy.
- Chop two to three slices of bacon into one inch bits
- Chop Chestnut mushrooms into thick slices or thirds
- Get the bacon cooking in a hot pan with a splash of oil – if it’s good bacon there shouldn’t be any liquid. If there is lots of water, cook this off on a high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook off any moisture till they’re soft and nutty.
- Get the Tagliatelle into a pan of bubbling hot water, around 7 minutes ought to the job.
- Open a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup and add it to the dry, cooked mix of bacon and mushroom, stir and simmer on a low heat.
- Drain the cooked Tagliattele.
- Add a good slug of Olive Oil to the Mushroom and Bacon mixture, add the Tagliatelle, stir and then serve into bowls, spooning any extra sauce on to the top of the Tagliatelle.
- Add some crushed nutmeg and pepper and grate a wee bit of Parmesan on top.
Hey Presto! Less cream and fat that you might usually get in a Carbonara, and really super quick to make, while also tasty and satisfying.